Photo Credit

Tell me again whose brilliant idea this was to post my “baby weight loss journey” for all to see?  Oh yes, I remember, yours truly.

I had my birthday last week and did great all day long.  I worked out, consumed great portions, healthy snacks and my very thoughtful honey even brought home a very small birthday cake so I could enjoy a piece of cake, but not have a lot of leftovers just sitting around in the house.   Did I mention that it was a chocolate cake with fudge frosting?  I love that man! 🙂

Then, on Friday afternoon we left to visit my in-laws for the weekend.  I was thinking ahead of time that I was going to try to get 2 outside walks in on Saturday and Sunday and eat a lot of fruits and veggies all weekend since I was not the one in charge of the menu.  Thankfully, my mother-in-law serves about 5 fruits and veggies with each meal so it was so nice to be able to take a small portion of the main dish and then just eat fruits and vegetables.  However, much to my delight and dismay- she made me a chocolate cheesecake for my birthday!!  Ah! What is a girl to do? I ate a piece and that night when we arrived.  It was so good! (I plan to post the recipe in the future!) And then on Saturday, she had Jason’s uncles over for dinner and had yet another dessert- caramel pecan cheeecake pie or something like that.  And let me tell you… it was fabulous!  I really do not eat many desserts that do not have mostly chocolate in them. 🙂 Hey, a girl has got to choose her calories, right?  Thankfully, when that dessert was served on Saturday at lunch AND at dinner- I choose to go with the portions I was feeding my kids. It was hard, I really wanted more, it tasted so… good.  But I stopped at 3 or 4 small bites and I was actually satisfied once I walked away from the table.  Then on Sunday, my mother-in-law served us the left over chocolate cheesecake for dessert at lunch AND sent me a piece home!


My mouth was so happy, but I just knew this week’s weigh in was going to be a disaster.  However, outside of having several desserts over the weekend I did a great job with portion control and eating a handful of nuts or a piece of fruit for snacks.

Next, we are onto my 2 outside walks while we were visiting them.  Yep, I bundled up (it was 27* with a wind chill of – something I swear!) in my capris (yes, it was 50* the day before I thought I would be ok!) and headed out.  I made it to the end of the driveway, slipped on the ice, twisting my knee and ankle and fell flat on my (not so coushioned!;) ) you know what.  O.U.C.H.  I did not know if I could even get up it hurt so bad.  But I decided to sit there for a bit and see if I could just walk it off.  Probably not the greatest idea in my book to get up and try to walk, but I just knew that I needed to get some blood pumping.  I ended up not going very far, but was glad that I had at least tried to get some exercise.  Sunday I was way to sore to go out and walk so I just skipped it.

Which brings me back to being home with my normal routine and I was really really really hoping to get some hard-core cardio in to counter all those desserts over the weekend.  Yep, pretty sure that I could not walk on the treadmill on Monday so I just did some weight training and worked my arms, back, abs and glutes.  By Tuesday I would walk on the treadmill and did some slower jogs instead of my usual sprints.  Instead I just worked on getting a good hill workout on the treadmill. Tuesday afternoon I was able to go to the chiropractor who adjusted my knee and things were feeling great today! I was able to do my sprints again- not quite the speed that I was up to last week, but I will work up to it.

As you can see, I was not looking forward to my weigh in the morning.  I think I began dreading it on Monday afternoon somewhere.  I  thought many times “I will just skip weigh-in Wednesday” this week.  But then I realized this is part of real life.  There are successes and failures, walks and runs, and veggies and desserts.  They all are a part of this journey for me.  And I told you all last week that I planned to share how this was all working so here I am.  You should count yourself lucky that I followed through with all of this and decided to share.  I wouldn’t share all of this with just anyone you know…. 🙂

It is now 4:30am this morning and I find myself feeding my son.  I was wide awake and thinking “I have to weigh in in 3 hrs” so I just decided to go for it then! 🙂  Crazy I know!  But I did get on the scale.  And let me tell you something, I went back to bed quite the happy camper!  I lost 1 lb this week!  WOOOOOT!  I have no idea how that all worked out as you can see it was a pretty rough week (or so I thought) in this whole department!  I’m just so glad that I still tried to make good choices as the week went on and did just chuck it all to the wind when things did not go as planned.  I’m super excited!  Know why? Because when I started this all again 8 weeks and 7 lbs ago, I had found these beauties on clearance for $6.50!

They really are more gold, not sure why they look silver.

I purchased them with the intent that when I reached my “first goal” (I broke my original goal up into 2 pieces so I could have a closer milestone that I could wrap my head around – aka – 7lbs) then I would allow myself to get my shoes out of the closet and wear them!  Instead of rewarding myself with a turtle latte or some chocolate- I would give myself these cute shoes! So that my friends is why I’m super excited today!  Because that 1 lb that I lost this week put me at my first goal!  Only 10 more to go!