Hello world- it has been a whirlwind few days.  Our son, Johnny Roman Rohlf was born on 6.27.08 at 7:23am weighing in a 6lbs, 3oz.  Belle was 5lbs, 12oz- so he a little beefier than she was! 🙂

Ok- those where the highlights for people like my dad who are not into the details.  Now for the people like me, who like the details! 🙂

Thursday am I woke up feeling quite crampy (my due date was 7.5.08- but Belle came 10 days early so I knew there could be a chance of that happening again).  I got my hospital bag packed and had a doctor’s appointment that morning at 10:30.  I was dialated to 3cm and the doctor helped move things along a bit by stripping my membrains.  She said that she would induce me come Sat am- but that she doubted I would make it that long.  I went home and spent the next 7 or 8 hours waiting for somehting to happen.  I had some contractions throughout the day, but nothing regular.  Jason and I watched a movie that night and after I said “Gee, I made my appointment for next week with the Dr. , but I wasn’t thinking I was going to make it- but I guess I might not go into labor early.”  About an hour later we went to sleep.  Or at least I tried! 🙂

About 10pm I had a contraction and from there on, they were coming about 10 min apart.  I just rested and didn’t wake up Jason in case it wasn’t the real thing. Then about 11:30, one came at 5 min apart and that is when I woke him up!  I asked him to go to HyVee and get me a cream cheese danish and some chocolate milk! 🙂  What a man!  When he got back things were still anywhere from 7-15 min apart and we settled in for the long haul. I got up and started getting things ready to go to the hospital and had 2 contractions that were about 2-3 min apart!  That is when we started moving!  John and Jade came over to stay with Belle since it was about 2:30am and we were off to the hospital.  (Keep in mind that they say you can count on your labors being 1/2 the time of the first and with Belle it was about 9 hours.  We were already about 5 hours into this so I had no idea how fast things could move.)

We got to the hospital around 3am and the nurse didn’t believe me that I was in labor and said she wasn’t sure she wanted to get me a bed.  (Instead she would just put me on the monitors in the small testing rooms.)  I was at the point of not being able to talk through the contractions and once she said that I was starting to get upset!  Then she finally decided  that I could “take up a bed” and had the nerve to tell me that I was a little tense and needed to relax a little.  (Oh yes, this is the same exact nurse that was my nurse with Belle that I wasn’t a fan of the first time around…arg!)  So she gets me settled and the Dr. comes into check me and I am 5 cm dialated and 80% efaced.  Good times.  We decided to walk around a bit and for the next 2 hours I walked and breathed through the contractions.  However, around 5 am, things were getting quite hard and I was emotional (I cry when I’m tired…. oh yes, I was also 8 cm dialated at this point) and exhausted as I hadn’t really slept the 3 nights before.  We opted for the epidural at that point and things went crazy from there on.  I finally got settled and they told me to rest for about an hour. Around 7am they came in to check me and I was ready to go.  I started pushing around 7:15am and I remember asking the Dr. if the baby would be born before 8:04am (Belle’s birth time) and she said “How about 7:24am?”  I looked up at the clock and that was only minutes away!  So I pushed a few more times and John Roman Rohlf was born at 7:23am weighing in at 6lbs, 3oz and 20 3/4 ” long.  Whew!  He came out screaming his head off and continued to scream for the next 20 or 30 min while they were checking him over.  But as soon as they put him in my arms all wrapped up, I touched his cheek and said his name and instantly he was quiet.  Wow… what a moment.

So that was Friday am.  Johnny had to go into the baby warmer a few times on Friday because he was having a hard time keeping warm.  But unlike Belle, he didn’t have any breathing problems and was able to spend the days at the hospital in our room.  Nursing is going very well, it started off a little sketchy, but by Sat afternoon things were moving right along.

We are home now and attempting to adjust to a “new normal” with two kids sharing one room! 🙂  Last night we were all up from 1-4am so I’m hoping that things are better starting tonight.

One tired and slightly emtotional, but very happy and content Momma,